Group Yoga Therapy
I have training in Vinyasa, Yin, Restorative and Kids Yoga. In addition to learning how to teach those styles, I completed an 800 hour (two year) Yoga Therapy program to become a certified Yoga Therapist. In Yoga Therapy we learn how to select specific Yoga postures, breathing technique, meditations and other yoga based tools to address the needs of specific populations. I analyze the goals and needs of the group in order to customize the class to promote health and wellness of mind and body.
I have gained experience using the tools of yoga therapy for clients with varying severity and complexity of symptoms including but not limited to headaches, double vision, sensitivity to light and noise, decreased balance, foot drop, pain, decreased sensation, dizziness, fatigue, poor sleep, decreased range of motion, strength and coordination, increased spasticity, difficulty following instructions, decreased memory and attention, impulsivity, disinhibition, emotional lability, anxiety, depression, PTSD and delusions. If the client has a desire to participate in Yoga, I meet them where they are at in their recovery and their unique experience and empower them to focus their mind, calm their breath and become more aware of their body to improve their quality of life.
These groups include current classes and those taught previously. All of these groups were carefully planned based on the specific needs and goals of the people who participated.
- All level Vinyasa Flow classes to adults in my community
- FunctionAbility Rehabilitation Services Company (20+ therapists and staff prior to their monthly meeting)
- Introduction to Chair Yoga to a group of seniors
- Introduction to Yoga Therapy for Falls Prevention at North York General Hospital
- Community Head Injury Resource Services (weekly sessions for 6 individuals who have sustained a brain injury)
- Corporate Vinyasa Flow Yoga Group at Flipp (in-line with the company’s wellness initiative)
- Kids Yoga classes for ages 7-11
- U10 AAA boys baseball team
- Chair yoga at Brain Injury Society of Toronto’s monthly meeting
- Occupational Therapists at Providence Healthcare – a self-care flow
Our approach is to meet you where you are at in your healing journey and empower you. We’d love to help you return to the activities that bring you joy.